Pages

February 3, 2011

We long for belonging


130, originally uploaded by beag1e94.

My grandma’s china is blue and white and makes me think of cuddling up in one of her hand crocheted blankets with a bowl of her amazing scrambled eggs and a really, really good book to read. Oh how I love this china.

Isn’t it funny how the simplest of things can make us think of home? Not where-we-live home, but where-we-belong home? I’m not sure where my home is any more. Whenever I see blue and white together, I think of my grandma and grandpa’s home. Whenever I eat cafeteria food or smell pine needles, I think of my camp home. And when I wake up before everyone else and have a few moments to quietly enjoy a cup of coffee, I think of where I live now.

129

I could feel all broken up and unsure of my identity and have a messed up sense of belonging. That’s how I imagine some people like this feel. But I don’t feel that way at all. Instead I feel so lucky to have so many places I do belong.

It’s all pretty lovely. : )

1 comment:

  1. I must admit that I don't get into the whole "grandmother china" thing --
    or passing on china from one generation to the other. I think it's just
    "stuff" -- we clutter our lives with so much "stuff" that we get lost in it.
    Life, to me, isn't about stuff. Its' about people. It's about relationships.
    It's about telling your friends how much they mean to you. It's about
    telling the people who have helped you in life that they indeed have
    been a help. I think somtimes we forget to say those things out loud,
    and just assume they know. A shame.

    I'd much rather have less stuff and have more time with friends and
    family. Just think...the more stuff you have, the more time it takes
    to maintain it. ACK...I could do without that.

    I think it's funny that the American dream, so to speak, is to own your
    own house. But with that comes a huge responsibility -- you have to
    maintain your house -- if something stops working, you have to fix it...
    so on and so on.

    But if you lived in apartment, you call the "Souper" and he comes to fix your
    leaky toilet or your stopped up sink....you don't have a lawn to tend to...
    often you have less space, so less to clean....

    Americans are so absorbed in themselves and their stuff. They have to
    have the latest cell phone. The latest computer. The last ipod. None of that
    means crap. WHO CARES! I sure don't. It doesn't impress me if you own
    the latest gadget. I don't care.

    WHat I do care about is how you treat people. Do you forgive quickly?
    Do you treat your friends with respect? Are you loyal? Do you show
    love to your family? These are the things that really matter in life.

    But the crazy thing is that unless you're around that person to see if
    they do these things, there's no way of knowing if they do. It's not like
    you can wear something on your person that says "LOOK AT ME...I
    TREAT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS WITH RESPECT."

    I'm glad you like your grammies china. It is pretty. But frankly, I'm glad my
    grammy doesn't intend to pass her china on to me.

    ReplyDelete

tell me about yourself. what do you think about this post? what's going on in your life? what cool things have you run across lately? what'd you eat for lunch???

...I want to get to know you. :)